Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Child's lesson plan!

During this first week of the new semester I watch carefully to see how children react to what's new. New things can be joyous but when EVERYTHING in the world is so new (it is for the very young!) then NEW can be pretty scary! It's written all over their faces: "Where's my routine????" New Kindermusik room, new teacher, new routines, new songs and activities......for some a completely new adventure.

I hear the grown-ups implore: "You're OK! You're OK! Don't be so shy!"

We have insight! We have experience that tells us everything is OK. I look into their worried eyes and say "This is new, isn't it. I don't look like Miss Patty Lee, do I?" They seem reassured when they know I have an idea what is upsetting. Then they watch. Then we sing. Then....they begin dancing!

Here is an article that I found through my Kindermusik educator friend in Michigan, Miss Melinda! It's a little story of a first Kindermusik experience through a mom's eyes. We all need some reassurance, don't we! Find the article here.

No comments: