Sunday, February 1, 2009

Are You With Me?

"Children have short attention spans."

Do you agree? There is a study done where the researcher rolled a ball with an 11 month old child. They rolled the ball back and forth 180 times joyfully. The child continued to roll the ball but the excitement had begun to wane. I can see where an adult would have trouble holding their attention span on task to roll a ball 180 times! Truth is if it is a child's quest to roll this ball then the attention span will be long. If it is the adgenda of the adult the child will probably roll it 3 or 4 times! This might have something to do with choice. Anytime I do something where I have little choice in the matter my attention span is minuscule! (I should be doing taxes and FAFSA right now!)

This week in our Kindermusik Village class we are suggesting families explore repetition and attention span as a home activity. The attention span will be heightened by adding slight variations. Eye contact is always paramont whenever you are interacting. Your loving eyes will keep your baby engaged joyfully!

Here's a link so you can download all the home activities for Hickory Dickory Tickle and Bounce --that's our theme right now. We are on lesson 3.

Have fun.
Yvette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How timely your comment... I've recently been noticing a change in Miles's attituide and it finally dawned on me how few choices I've been giving him in life lately. Why must I continue to learn this lesson over and over again? Love your blog. :)
BTW, Jack thought it was really cool to get your comment on my blog the other day!