Sunday, September 20, 2009

Music from around the world....way on the other side from here!

This summer we had a fun time in our Zoo Train (Kindermusik Adventures) dancing to the beautiful didgeridoo music.

I've been interested in this instrument since a friend (Kim, Benjamin's mom!) lent me her didgeridoo to try. I just couldn't get it going. Seems like since I took Trombone lessons in college I ought to be able to get a buzz going! But NO Way!

So a couple weekends ago I was at the Asheville Organic Fest and there was a family looking for shade under a tiny tree and next to them were 3 didgeridoos. That's how I met John Vorus...and had my first didgeridoo lesson. Like he says in this article below, it's easy to play and hard to master.

Look for John Vorus at the LakeEdenArtsFestival this October. He'll be playing with
River Guerguerian Project (My nephew, Duncan, will be playing with the group too~I'll say this is one performance NOT to miss.)


The Transylvania Times • 37 North Broad St. • Brevard NC 28712
Vorus Pursues His Passion For The Didgeridoo
Vorus plays his didgeridoo. (Times photos by Lenora Carver)
Vorus plays his didgeridoo. (Times photos by Lenora Carver)

John Vorus said he doesn’t know if he found the didgeridoo or the didgeridoo found him.

“I think it was a co-creation of this between my path and myself,” said the 34-year-old Transylvania County resident.

When Vorus was 19-years-old and living in Detroit, Mich., he discovered his hidden talent for the Australian instrument.

The instrument, which was created over 1,500 years ago by the Aboriginal Australians, was used primarily for accompaniment in ceremonial dancing and singing, according to the Aboriginal Australia Art and Culture Center in Alice Springs, Central Australia.

Traditionally, an Aborigine would go into nature and listen intensely to animal sounds, not just voices but also the flapping of wings or the thump of feet on the ground” said the Center.

“The Aborigine would also listen to the sounds of wind, thunder, trees creaking, and water running. The essences of all these sounds were played with as much accuracy as possible within the droning sound of the didjereedoo.”

The didgeridoo is considered to possibly be the world’s oldest instrument.

1 comment:

carol said...

After four years of high school in Australia and a year in the outback, I never had even one lesson. Glad to hear the didgereedoo is alive in NC. Good luck!